Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Unique Phenomenon Perhaps?

Have you ever heard of bus etiquette? It appears that it found me. I don't know if it exists on any other bus routes, but on the Maple Grove Express, it is exhibited on every trip. I found out on the first trip I took home on the bus from Minneapolis after work. When the bus reached the transit station (bus station for those of us who speak English), I asked the lady who was sitting next to me whether she was getting off. 'Yes', she replied and didn't move. I hestitated for what seemed like a very long time and still she did not move. So I got up and headed for the exit. It did not take me long to comprehend that this wasn't what I should have done. I could feel my cheeks burning as I got off the bus. Still I did not make the same mistake twice.

On the Maple Grove Express, one lets those who had to stand in the aisle get off first; then the passengers take it in turns starting with those at the front of the bus to get off the bus. It is very organized and very orderly. I am very impressed. No jostling or pushing. It even beats the unloading of a plane when it has landed.

So, it is very apparent when there is someone who is new to the commute home on the bus. They just get up and head to the exit at the front. Some of us grin to ourselves remembering our first time. Some passengers get mad and block their way. The unique phenomenon continues due to 'peer pressure'. It doesn't take long for all to conform. So my question is 'how did this all get started?' What a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment