Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Snow Commute

The 5 to 10” of snow was forecast to begin its arrival at 9:00 a.m. today, but it did not arrive until just after 11:00 a.m. There was a part of me that was really excited for the snow. I guess it’s just one of those things we didn’t have a lot of when I was in England. I don’t necessarily like having to do normal day living things with snow, but I love the whiteness and the stillness it invokes in me. One of my fondest memories last year occurred when I was taking the dog outside to do her ‘stuff’. As I was waiting, I listened to our neighbour’s wind chimes tinkling in the silence. It was just beautiful.

The part of me that was excited for the delay was due to the commute home. Last year, I waited 2 hours for a bus that had some room on it and then when we were on the ramp to the freeway (motorway), the bus ended up horizontally across the road and was unable to pull out of the snow and move forwards for about 15 minutes. What an adventure! Today I hoped that it would all hold off until we were safely home.

So, as I said, the snow began at just after 11:00 a.m. and within half an hour, the world was quite white out of the window of the 17th floor where I work. At 2:30 p.m. it was announced that the office was closing at 3:00 p.m. Wouldn’t you believe it! LOL! I sensed the enthusiasm of my co-workers. For me, I finish the day at 3:10 to 3:20 p.m. in the afternoon depending on which bus I manage to be in time for in the morning. I was in no hurry since I was anticipating a two hour wait at the bus stop. Since the offices were closing, I didn’t go for my daily torture at the gym, and ambled through the skyway to my usual bus stop. Then I decided to succumb and join in with the majority and walk to the first bus stop on the route instead of the second to last and see if I would be lucky (blessed) enough to get on a bus. I didn’t really care if I didn’t get a seat - just wanted to be a-moving.

The streets seemed silent as I strode along towards the first bus stop. It was kind of eerie in a way since there were a lot of people milling around. I kind of liked this muted noise. There were a lot more people at the bus stop than I thought there would be – in fact, for awhile I stood in the road near the kerb until I could inch my way inside the masses. The plan seemed to work as when the bus turned up, I was blessed enough to get on it. The standing on the way home was perfectly acceptable under these conditions. If the truth be told, I could actually eavesdrop a whole lot better. One lady was reminiscing about how when she opened her garage door in the snow, the snow fell into her garage and the door wouldn’t close fully again until she had swept it all away. From her conversation, I don’t think it was a problem with the sensors, but with the fact that there was so much snow that the door couldn’t fully descend. So, I wondered if this would happen when I got home. In fact, I was wondering if I wouldn’t even be able to get up the driveway. If this indeed happened, where would I park the car whilst I shoveled? Yes, in the way of the plough? So many options … I then decided that it wasn’t worth worrying about and to enjoy the adventure. Life is about enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment